Pages

May 06, 2007

Utopia


It's sad when a love affair ends. A year ago I blogged about my undying love for Los Angeles. I lived there for 12 years and sincerely loved it. I seriously LOVED LA. I would walk around and actively say to myself, "I love living in LA." I use to come to Oceanside on the weekends and once I stayed here for 6 weeks but I never dreamed I'd live here. Oceanside was always a temporary Utopia for me. I came, I loved it then I left. It was like a great mistress but I was dutifully married to LA and deeply in love. But something bizarre has happened. Since moving to Oceanside, I find LA to be an unbearable shit hole. LOL. I go back and I can't believe how people live there.

I left LA last night at midnight and it was like driving in the Indy 500. I literally felt like my life was in peril. People drive like they have a death wish and for 12 years I just put up with it like it was nothing. Insanity as a way of life. Luckily, I never had to endure a daily commute and mostly I was on the freeways at night but still I sat in my fair share of traffic. I'm sooo over LA. I don't miss it one bit. When I'm there I can't wait to get back to Oceanside or as I like to call it, Utopia. It's odd to think that at 38 years old, I may finally be home.

___________________

This blog was inspired by something my friend, Joseph Manghise sent me:

How to drive in Los Angeles. Instructions for visitors:

+ The morning rush hour is from 5:00am to noon. The evening rush hour is from noon to 7:00pm. Friday's rush hour starts on Thursday morning.

+ The minimum acceptable speed on most freeways is 85 mph. On the 105 or 110, your speed is expected to match the highway number.

+ If you actually stop at a yellow light, you will be rear ended, cussed out, and possibly shot.

+ Watch carefully for road hazards such as: drunks, skunks, dogs, cats, barrels, cones, celebs, rubberneckers, shredded tires, cell phoners, deer, road kill, and the coyotes feeding on any of these items.

+ GPS does not work in LA. None of the roads are where they say they are or go where they say they do. All the freeway off and on ramps are moved each night.

+ Do not try to estimate travel time, just leave Monday afternoon for Tuesday appointments, by noon Thursday for Friday and right after church on Sunday for anything on Monday morning.

No comments: