Pages

May 15, 2007

The Theater

First some trivia. This is a pic of production on The Color Purple before it opened on Broadway. I actually saw the show in previews and sat in the front row, center section, right on the aisle. Can you picture me there? I predicted the show would close after 6 months but it's still playing and making money. So what the fuck do I know? Take everything I say with a grain of salt!
________
Anyway, on with the blog:

1. The Times reported today that 80% of the shows currently on Broadway have not yet recouped and most probably won't. This is news only to someone who does NOT follow theater.

2. My brother-in-law called me to find out how to get tickets to Jersey Boys without spending 200-400 dollars a piece. Yes, tickets are now topping out at 400 a piece.

3. Joan Collins and Linda Evans recently toured together in a play and during interviews fawned over each other but now that the play has closed they are publicly declaring what a nightmare it was working together. Did I mention the show got scathingly bad reviews?

This, Ladies and Gentleman, is all you need to know about working in the theater.

Most shows lose money.
Tickets are waaaaay too expensive.
Stars are a pain in the ass.
Critics hate TV stars who do theater.
Most actors hate each other by the time the show closes.

And that concludes today's seminar on working in the theater. I hope you enjoyed it.

No comments: