Pages

May 23, 2007

Liberal? vs Conservative?


I had an interesting (at least to me) discussion with someone via e-mail regarding my Costco video. In the video, I make a comment about how I can't wait for Bush to leave office.
_______

Him: What does George Bush have to do with gas prices being so high? And what do your stats about profits being at an all time high have to do with anything? Thanks


Me: I bet you ten bucks you're not a Democrat. Just a hunch. lol

Him: Well, I was being serious. I was really wondering what your argument was there...

You are trying to say that their profits are up, but that's simply because we are buying more (hence the supply and demand effect.) Now, if their profit MARGIN was sky high, than I would agree with you that they were trying to fuck us. However, that's not the case.

As far as your democratic argument, I didn't realize that you had to be one party or the other to have a debate. But, to answer your question, I'm more Libertarian. I don't agree with a lot of the Dem's ideas (tax the rich, gun control), however, the Pub's have REALLY pissed me off lately. Bush, who calls himself a conservative, is far from it. I'm somewhere in between Libertarian, and Republican.

Anyway, didn't mean to piss you off, simply was curious.


Me: Matt

You didn't piss me off at all, I promise. But I'm sure you know the arguments from both sides. I didn't believe you were really asking me to explain why I said what I said. Your question seemed more rhetorical.

Sincerely, it's a fact that oil profits and prices have never been higher. That's not my opinion it's a fact. And there is no direct evidence linking George Bush to the price of gas but as the most powerful man in the world with deep ties to the oil industry one would think that possibly he could help deal with what is basically a crisis but his handling of any crisis since
taking office has been disastrous (Katrina, anyone).

In my naivete, I believe if Clinton were still in office we would not be in a war in Iraq and gas prices would not be what they are. But that is my feeling. I have no proof of it.

Believe me when I say, I felt relieved when Clinton was gone, I was tired of all the non-stop drama and I thought Bush, though I didn't vote for him, would have a peaceful boring presidency. But all I think about are the military men being killed everyday in a war that Bush is clueless about. Dems and Repubs share those views.

I could live with Giuliani and or Romney though I probably won't vote for them but I'm counting the days til Bush is gone. I believe he has wreaked havoc on our country. His father was a great leader in comparison. I would have voted for Powell had he run.

Sorry for the long rambling reply. I just woke up. lol

Trust me, I was not offended or upset on any level...I just posted a video on YouTube yesterday and though most reactions have been very positive I've also been called a fat homo, which happens to be true, actually. so trust me, I have a very think skin.

PS Do I even know you? lol

PS I just reread your last e-mail:

"You are trying to say that their profits are up, but that's simply because we are buying more (hence the supply and demand effect.) Now, if their profit MARGIN was sky high, than I would agree with you that they were trying to fuck us. However, that's not the case."

Profits come from demand but profits are impacted by prices, too. and I know the margin argument, I know their margins are comparable with other industry margins. and I know a gallon of gas is still cheaper than a tube of mascara.

Call me psychic, but I guessed from your question that you you were intelligent and probably knew all the arguments and I was right that you're a Republican. but if I seemed glib I apologize, but I'm just telling you why I was glib.

Okay enough of me. I'd rather listen than talk. I usually learn more that way.

Have an awesome, Saturday

Him: So how in the world do you like Fox News so much if your a Democrat? :) I agree that Bush has really failed in numerous areas. However, I probably consider him a failure in other areas that you may not care about. First, as I said, he is NOT a friggin' conservative. I don't understand where he even gets the guff to even call himself that. I'm a firm believer in a smaller government, and he has done nothing but to increase it, and granting them more power over us. Although I consider myself a "righty," I'm with you on wanting him out of office. I almost blew a lid with the amnesty bill that's about to go into effect.

It saddens me that there are such limitations on our options for who runs this country. I really feel that both parties have failed. I wish a third party (hell, even if a new one was invented) could stand a chance at taking over.

I'm a true believer in taking ownership and responsibility for your actions, and leaving America a place for entrepreneurship. I just don't feel like the Democrats support that.

Now, here's the most ironic part. The Republican's are so pissed off at their party for acting non-conservative and more like Democrats. And the Democrats hate how the Republican's are acting. I dunno, I find that pretty ironic.

No, I don't know you, I just happened to stumble across one of your videos, and somehow found the Costco video. Then you just HAD to go and make that quick remark during the last 1 second of the video! :)

America is still the greatest country to live in as far as I'm concerned. Just do me a favor, if you vote Democrat next election, please don't go for Hillary!

Me: My liberal gay friends think I'm conservative but I see myself as moderate..I love Bill Maher AND Bill O' Reilly, so go figure!

PS I agree with 98% of your e-mail...truly...I really do....so does that make me conservative or does that make you a closet liberal? lol

Yes, about the amnesty bill...I don't understand a man who fights a war to "protect us" and then opens the floodgates to Mexico. bizarre. I mean I really don't understand how his mind works.
_________________________________________________

No comments: