Pages

April 01, 2007

The Lookout


Oh my god! There is a great performance in this film by a great actor named Matthew Goode. He's not the lead but he plays the main villain (for lack of a better word). I sat there watching him thinking, "wow, this guy is so good." After checking him on IMDB I realized he's the actor in Match Point, not the male lead but the other male, the rich-upper-class-British one. After watching these two films I'm blown away by the versatility of Matthew Goode. Remember that name: Matthew Goode.

All the actors in The Lookout give extremely excellent performances but Matthew Goode steals the movie and when you compare it with the work he did in Match Point...well he's just very impressive.

And I'm not sure why but the tone of this film reminded me A History of Violence, another strong film with complicated characters. Both movies are plot driven (which I love) but they also have fascinating characters and interesting dialogue. A friend told me today he won't see movies based on my recommendations because I like shitty movies and it's true, I love shitty movies but this movie has, deservedly, gotten very good reviews across the board so go see it and pay attention to the actor who plays Gary Spargo and as you're watching, remind yourself that he's actually British. Or better yet, watch Match Point and then watch The Lookout.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Wow, you're right, he's impressive. I didn't realize that was the actor in MATCH POINT. He comes across as such an East Coast, blue collar sleazebag in LOOKOUT.

But I'm more infatuated with Joseph Gordon Levitt, despite how trendy he's become.

I never saw that 3RD ROCK tv show, but I did see 10 THINGS I HATE ABOUT YOU and Levitt came across as square and forgettable.

But he had me at "suck my fat cock" in MYSTERIOUS SKIN and BRICK further rocked my world.

He's dreamy and very talented. The next generation's Johnny Depp, only more vulnerable. I really wish I could make out with him.

FYI, here is a home-video Joseph Gordon-Levitt took of paparazzi stalking him and accusing him of being a closeted gay and shitty actor:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=4_6gn7H1Qko