Pages

April 25, 2007

Farewell, Michael Smuin


The revival of Anything Goes on Broadway, starring Patti Lupone was a show I ushered for about 4 months. I must have seen it a hundred times and I loved it more every time. It stayed fresh and exciting every single night and audiences absolutely loved it. Now here's the weird part, it took me about two weeks to figure out the plot. I remember saying after the third performance, "Ohhh, the whole thing takes place on a boat???" LOL I didn't listen to the show for the first week I watched it. I was too dazzled to concentrate on the plot and a big part of that dazzle was created by choreographer, Michael Smuin. I remember Michael Smuin dancing up the steps to receive his well-deserved Tony award.

I don't know much about Mr. Smuin. I know he only choreographed a few Broadway shows. I know he choreographed Shogun: The Musical but I don't remember any dancing. I know he was a major influence in the Bay Area where he had his own dance company. I know he died of a heart attack this week while teaching a dance class. And I know I'll never forget the joy I felt every night watching the dances he created for Anything Goes.

The world has gone mad today
And good's bad today,
And black's white today,
And day's night today,
When most guys today
That women prize today
Are just silly gigolos
And though I'm not a great romancer
I know that I'm bound to answer
When you propose,
Anything goes

Click here to read more about Michael Smuin.

No comments: