Pages

April 03, 2007

Dear Bret, (whoever you are)


I always enjoy reading your comments about movies, unfortunately I won't be seeing Reign Over Me because the trailers kind of creep me out. The whole AdamSandler-as-Bob Dylan-thing sort of strikes me as strange. I admire Adam Sandler and I find him very likable in interviews but he's never made a movie I personally enjoyed (Waterboy)or wanted to see (Click, Reign Over Me). I saw Waterboy on cable and I was shocked that it was a hit movie. I liked the premise of Click but I didn't want to actually see it.

I rarely, almost never go to comedies or simple character studies. I need plot and action. Even a movie like The Queen felt action-packed and full of interesting plot movements but Reign Over Me just strikes me as a movie about "two people learning to live." I'll pass. Am I really missing something?

PS Did you like Zodiac? I'm seeing Blades of Glory, today. Tuesday is free popcorn day here in our little town of Oceanside. Can't wait!

PPS Bret, do you have a blog? I would read yours; you seem to have much to say

Finally, I heard Don Cheadle is so rich he has an elevator in his house. I have a friend who's been to his mansion. Whenever I see Don Cheadle now I picture him in his elevator.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

REIGN OVER ME's premise made it sound very predictable, and I usually hate Adam Sandler movies, especially the "serious acting" attempts he made in PUNCH DRUNK LOVE and CLICK.

But REIGN OVER ME vastly exceeded my expectations. I can honestly say the moral dilemma is uncommon, being about how much therapy can be forced upon a person, despite how much may may need it. Plus the characters and their reactions are pretty unique (except for Jada Pinkett Smith's). Sandler did a surprisingly convincing and compelling job, probably owing to a director who knew how to restrain him at the right times.

I felt the psychology and combined experience of it all was wholly original for Hollywood. REIGN OVER ME also seems an eaiser first step to take when coping with 9/11 on film without re-living the horror first-hand (however good UNITED 93 and WORLD TRADE CENTER are).

I'm not alone in liking the film, as most pro critics liked it, too: http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/reign_over_me/

It's okay to hate Sandler's usual stuff but still appreciate a job well-done. It's not like REIGN OVER ME was his idea LOL! I hated WATERBOY and America for loving it.

I must, however, cop to enjoying HAPPY GILMORE and three comedies Sandler produced: DEUCE BIGALOW: EUROPEAN GIGOLO, THE HOT CHICK and BENCHWARMERS!

I loved ZODIAC. Being a David Fincher fan, I honestly thought it would have a lot more thrills and action. But it's a very cerebral puzzle. I enjoyed it thoroughly and always stayed interested, but I could tell the audience was restless at times and some people complained that it's boring. I think it's a helpful study of crime, the criminal justice system and how they interact with the press. Skillful performances.

I loved BLADES OF GLORY, sorry ...

P.S. I don't have a blog because I am fearful of wasting too much time on it. The posting I do on other peoples' blogs is already just wasteful procrastination of my own scriptwork! ;)