Pages

April 23, 2007

It's Shakespeare Day!


It's believed that William Shakespeare was born and died on April 23rd so today is his day. There are only three geniuses working today in the world of entertainment: Sondheim, Spielberg and Shakespeare. You might be incredibly talented but if you're name's not on that list you're not a genius in my book, but that's another blog. Today celebrate Shakespeare day I give you a ridiculous picture of me as Falstaff in High School.Oy vey!


My life changed forever on June 16, 1983 at 8:30 PM Pacific Time when I saw a production of 12th Night performed at PCPA in Solvang directed by Laird Williamson and starring Byron Jennings as Malvolio. The production was a pivotal moment in my life. Possibly even the most pivotal besides my adoption. Maybe one day when it's not 3:00 AM I'll write more about it and explain but it's a very long story. Suffice it to say, it was a life-altering experience that has impacted me ever since. I can trace everything I am and everything I've done back to that night and no I'm not being dramatic. I still have the program with my theater stub taped inside. So, I know exactly the date, time, place and where I was sitting (Section 5, Row A, Seat 1) when I saw a performance that for better or worse, made me who I am. The price of the ticket: $6.50. The worth of the experience: Priceless.

I miss you, Peg Pauly! And I'm sorry they misspelled your name in the Yearbook.

1 comment:

carolyn said...

I remember that trip to Solvang!