Pages

April 22, 2007

August Wilson and Fences


According to someone on All That Chat yesterday, acclaimed playwright, August Wilson, only saw about 20 plays in his lifetime. Supposedly, he didn't go see plays he didn't write. I find it fascinating but hard to believe. I was actually an usher at his play Fences on Broadway with James Earl Jones. I must have seen the play over 30 times. Maybe I saw it more than he did. I recently read it again and I could hear the actors inflections in my head as if it were yesterday. As much as I admired it as a read, I was acutely aware that had I not seen the play first with the amazing cast on Broadway, I would not have appreciated how great the play is. I wish I were a better script reader. I also remember that it was the first time I had seen a drama on Broadway where the black audience members responded vocally: "That's right!" "You tell him!" "Mmmm hmmm!" "Amen" It often felt like being at a church revival and I remember thinking that in comparison, white audiences are boring. One line has stuck with me all these years and I've never forgotten it:

Troy: "Driving ain't nothing! You just point the car where you wanna go."

No comments: