Pages

April 17, 2007

déjà vu

déjà vu |ˌdā zh ä ˈvoō| noun a feeling of having already experienced the present situation.
Usually when a national tragedy explodes I turn on the news and stay glued to the set but not today. I'm worn out. I'm exhausted. 32 people killed; I go to the gym. I shop for windex and I make lunch. Why don't I care this time? Why is it not registering? They call it the worst massacre in US History and I think to myself, "was 9/11 not a massacre?"

The pundits, the locals, the students, the community, EVERYONE is shocked, everyone but me. School shootings don't shock me anymore. I don't even care about the details. The shooter is Asian. So what? He was mad at his girlfriend. Who isn't? He had a bunch of guns. Who doesn't?

The news in this story is that there isn't any news. We've seen this story many times before. After a while it all just feels like déjà vu.

No comments: