Pages

April 03, 2007

Act Your Age

Note: I wrote this blog last year on April 13th at 8:17 PM. I'm not sure why I never published it but I'm doing lots of spring cleaning so I'm publishing it now. I have about 20 unpublished blog entries I'm gonna either delete or publish this week.


In college when I was 20 years old I had two serious relationships with two older men. When I say older I mean one was over twice my age (CM) and another was 30 years older (a puppeteer...how ironic). I had a great time with both men and they both taught me lots and they both wanted long term committments. One even quit his job to build a life with me. Oh Lord!

I lost interest in both of these relationships and I drifted away. I never really ended them I just sort of disappeared. That's how I remember it. Both men told me I had hurt them and one even said to me, "Wow, I really thought you were mature but now you're really showing your age." Ouch. I've never forgotten that.

For many years I carried guilt about the way those relationships ended and then about three months ago I had a major revelation:

50 year olds who date 20 year olds and then get hurt when the 20 year old moves on are total fucking idiots. What kind of person is a 40 year old who wants to date a 20 year old??? Honestly! If you're dating a 20 year old and you're 25 years older and you put expectations on that person, you need to have your head examined.

I can not believe I carried that guilt for all these years. I actually think I'm owed an apology.

Letting go of guilt is a wonderful thing.

If the two men who "I hurt" happen to stumble upon this blog, feel free to e-mail me an apology. And if any of you reading this are over 40 and obsessed with someone half your age, I beg you to let go and/or get help. And Lord, I beg you, don't ever let me fall in love with someone 20 years younger than myself.

1 comment:

Michelle said...

WORD!