Pages

October 15, 2005

Flight Plan (don't see it twice)


Was it good? Did it suck? Who cares! I got to see Jodie Foster on the big screen last night and that's all I cared about. The new lines in her face were shocking and exciting.

Why did she pick this script? I truly don't understand and I say that sincerely, I would love to know her logic behind this.

There are so few movie stars that I get excited about seeing but she is one of them. There was a very interesting interview about her in Premiere magazine where she talked about having a mid-life crisis and not working enough. It's odd to think that someone as perfect as Jodie Foster could have a mid-life crisis. Silence of the Lambs is my second favorite movie after Jaws. The scenes where her and Anthony Hopkins talk are my favorite cinematic moments of all time...I could watch them over and over.

Back to Flight Plan. I'll see it again just to spend more time with Jodie Foster. My friend Wynn Thomas is currrently designing a movie she's starring in. He says she's a beautiful person and I believe him.


FLIGHT PLAN/SECOND VIEWING

Well the news gets worse.

Saw Flight plan again tonight with a dear friend and the movie simply does not hold together on a second viewing. Once you've seen it and know where it's going there is no point in seeing it again except to dissect it. I found myself watching the extras, studying the set, pondering Jodie Fosters career.

Peter Sarsgard perfomance is actually worse the second time around. I found myself longing for him to open his eyes all the way. And I am now convinced he has a hard-on for John Malkovich. I actually believe he is imitating him for some hero worship reason. When I was in acting school all my fellow actors were obsessed with John Malkovich. Not me. I found him incredibly self-concious and mannered. It wouldn't shock me to find out that Peter Sarsgaard is of that class of actor who "loves John Malkovich."

Sarsgaard is not a bad actor on any level but in this he is terribly miscast (I hear he was great in Shattered Glass) I rarely watch movies and feel they are miscast, I accept the casting and go along for the ride but I actually believe Sean Bean is miscast too. His inflections are Shakespearean sounding. Most pilots I've met don't sound like poets when they speak wether they are British or not. I think Sean Bean is a wonderful actor but totally miscast.

I would actually reccomend this movie, it's not a waste of time but do not see it twice.

For an excellent review that lays out all the movies flaws, go here. This guy writes an amazingly thoughtful and insightful critique of the movie.

http://www.aintitcool.com/display.cgi?id=21358

No comments: