Pages

November 13, 2006

Yes, I love Borat.


I've seen it twice, so far. I think it's a funny film, a sad film and an important film. There are so many films to be made ABOUT this film. The lawsuits, the racists, the Pentacostals, the making of Borat; it's all endlessly fascinating and endlessly entertaining. I want more, much more. More Borat, please!

And what does it say about Hollywood that the two best movies of the year are Jackass 2 and Borat. Are we seeing the death of fiction? Will more documentaries start to break the 100 million mark ala Fahrenheit 9/11 & Borat. The best screenplay I've seen this year is the Prestige and in terms of box office it's seems destined to gross about 60 mil. Another movie I liked, The Departed, has barely broken the 100 million mark and it had ALL those stars and great reviews. My friend (who is a big wig in the entertainment industry) denies that Hollywood is going thru a MAJOR transition. He's wrong. I simply can not picture the entertainment industry 3 years from now.

Will Hollywood nominate Jackass 2 and Borat for Best Picture? They should. They won't.

No comments: