Pages

November 13, 2006

Flying Cell Phones!



2 way streeet.

I'm in the right lane going south.

They're in the left lane going north.

They abruptly stop. I see an arm reach out of the drivers side window and hurl a cell phone to the street. It shatters. An older, docile, white woman gets out of the passenger side and slowly, very slowly, walks toward the shattered pieces.

The driver jumps out, runs to the pieces, picks some up, throws them down again with a tremendous force into the gutter while shouting, "I hate cell phones!!!!!!!!"

I was stunned. I live for freak shows! I love watching people more insane than myself. It lulls me into believing I'm not as insane as others.

They get back in the car. I pull up next to them. I can't help but stare. He looks straight at me. I stop. I'm worried about the white woman. I'm afraid of the crazy man but more than that I fear for the woman.

I say,

Me: Everything ok?

Him: I hate cell phones.

Me: But are you guys, ok?

Him: Oh yeah, we're fine. I just hate cell phones.

Me: Is she okay?

(She doesn't respond)

Him: Oh yeah, she's okay.

Me: Okay.

I know she's not ok. I understand his rage at the machines. I fear for the woman as we both drive away in opposite directions.

No comments: