Pages

January 30, 2006

Quick Movie Thoughts


I saw a movie trailer for some movie about husky sled dogs who get trapped in the wilderness, oh Lord, I wept like a baby during this trailer. I never cry in trailers. Only in trailer parks.

Watched the SAG awards. Oy vey. God, I hate actors. LOL Don't let anyone tell you acting is hard. It ain't. Working in a coal mine is hard work. Acting is nothing. It's often tedious but it's not hard. Anyone can do it. Anyone.

People continue to fiddle with their phones during the movies. It's so distracting. I want to kill these fuckers when they check their phones during the movie. It's so wrong.

This just in from Box office Guru: "Steven Soderbergh's Bubble, which opened in theaters and debuted on the HDnet cable channel this weekend, posted a soft opening with an estimated $72,000 from 32 theaters for a mild $2,250 average. The ultralow-budget doll factory drama also hits DVD on Tuesday in a radical release plan that allows moviegoers to choose how they want to see the film." What does it mean? What does it mean?

How come Dick and Jane has done 110 million and I don't know anyone who had seen it??? Who is going to that movie?

I love being in New York and seeing movies at my second favorite theater in the world, the Empre 25 on 42nd St. The lobby is a gutted Broadway Theatre. The box office is where the stage would be. Someone smarter than me could write a painful discussion about the act of gutting a Broadway theatre for the purpose of opening a Cineplex. But it's 9 am in New York and I'm not up to the challenge. Just know that you can feel the ghosts everytime you ride the escalator up into the proscenium.

My favorite theater in the world is The Grove in LA. Huge screens, make your own drink, . The Arclight on Sunset ha bigger screens, better sightlines and well-behaved audience members but I HATE assigned seating. I HATE IT!

I know a married man who cheats on his wife. So he tells me he goes to see Match Point, which is about a married man having an affair. So I ask him if he thought about his affairs when he watched the movie. Without skipping a beat he says, "no". Is it really possible for people to sit thru movies and not use the experience as time for self-reflection? I learn about myself at the movies, thats one of the reasons I go. But maybe I'm just a narcissist. Oh my God, I just looked it up! I am a narcissist. I'm in shock. LOL

narcissism |ˈnärsəˌsizəm| noun excessive or erotic interest in oneself.

• extreme selfishness, with a grandiose view of one's own talents and a craving for admiration, as characterizing a personality type. See note at egotism.

• self-centeredness arising from failure to distinguish the self from external objects, either in very young babies or as a feature of mental disorder.

WHO THE HELL ISN'T A NARCISSIST????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

No comments: