Pages

January 05, 2006

The Producers


The Producers is about two producers trying to make a bomb.

Life imitates art.

This movie is a bomb.

It was especially hard seeing it right after seeing Munich.

Munich uses light to tell the story, and The Producers uses a floodlight for the whole thing.

In Munich the camera never stops moving. In The Producers the camera never moves.

It's unfair to compare Susan Stroman to Steven Spielberg, but I can't pity Stroman. I've been repeatedly blown away by her stage work. Her onstage talent and creativity seem endless, but this movie...oh, this movie fails so hard that it hurts.

To be fair, I'm not sure you could even make a movie from this musical.

I saw the original musical with Nathan Lane on a bootleg video and loved it. Then I saw it onstage with a guy they fired and it wasn't so good. Then I saw Nathan and Matthew Broderick live and it was much better but starting to feel stale. And now this movie...this movie is a total failure. It just does NOT work.

Oh well. Better luck next time.

No comments: