Pages

October 28, 2006

The Prestige


I really liked this movie. I really admired it. I was very involved. I did not know where it was going. I could not figure it out and on the way out I had to explain it to my date. The whole movie is one big magic trick. Much like the departed it's the kind of complicated plotting that truly impresses me. I'm intrigued that three of my favorite movies this year, (The Departed, The Prestige, Mission Impossible 3) are all brilliantly constructed but slightly hollow.


Movies that I truly LOVE (Jaws, Silence of the Lambs, The Alien Franchise, Brokeback Mountain, The Fugitive) are more exciting and emotional every time I see them. The Fugitive is incredibly constructed but completely emotional for me. The Departed, The Prestige and MI3 on the other hand all just feel like construction projects, but amazing construction none-the less. I look forward to seeing The Prestige again very soon.

2 comments:

Jay Larsen said...

Saw the Prestige. It was very clever. It is rare to see a movie that I can't figure out ahead of time, but this one kept me guessing. If I have any criticism, it is that the ending didn't deliver much more than just the last trick. There was no real emotional or psycological payload at the end.
But it was a fun, fun ride in a creepy sort of way.

Anonymous said...

I thought there was plenty of a payload.

Michael Caine turns against the scheming Lord played by Hugh Jackman. The story reveals Jackman to be the most villainous.

What I found remarkable about this mystery is that none of the characters appear to lie.

Whereas in real life and many stories, characters often lie to confound or mislead the "detective."

But Michael Caine doesn't hesitate to tell the Judge in private that the magic box was created by sorcerers who create real magic. A real person with this knowledge would probably evade that.

When Hugh Jackman asks Bale what type of knot he tied on his wife before her drowning, Bale answers honestly "I don't know," at the risk of sounding guilty of manslaughter.

Having completely honest and consistent characters makes it simpler and fun for the audience to figure out the mystery.

But it compromises some believability.

It didn't ruin my enjoyment of the film, however. It's still one of the best movies I've seen this year!