Pages

July 21, 2006

Lady in the Water aka Dead in the Water


I can tell you where I won't be this weekend. I won't be watching M. Night ShamaShams cinematic ego trip. The critics have been destroying this thing and even though I'm mildly curious, I refuse to see it in a theater cause I don't want to help the domestic gross. I avoided seeing Unbreakable and The Village in theaters for the same reason. I can not support this megalomaniac.

Now I hear some of you saying, "but Ronnie, aren't you a megalomaniac, too. Aren't you like the pot calling the kettle black?" To that, I defensively say,"Fuck you!" LOL

Listen, I loved The Sixth Sense and I admired it, but then M. Night started doing interviews and the love was quickly gone. His ego was already out of control and his delusion bordered on frightening. I have never done an interview where I said, "I'm fabulous!" I dare you to find it.

I've read things from Night like, "I know things about movie-making no one else knows." Oh Lord!

Let's get one thing clear, all artists have huge egos. You have to have a huge ego to be able to create things, put them on display and endure the harsh criticism that follows. One thing I admire about directors like Spielberg, Lucas, Peter Jackson and Woody Allen is that you never you hear them talking about how brilliant they are. I have never heard Spielberg, who is a God in my eyes, brag about how he changed the world and has been more succesful than any other movie maker in history.

I'm sure Spielberg has a gigantic ego but he keeps it hidden from us masses. That's how it should be. Then you have Woody Allen who loves to tell us how mediocre his own movies are. "I'm not an artist," he recently stated. Well I disagree, Woody. I have never hated a Woody Allen movie. Never. And Husband and Wives is one of my favorite films of all time. Woody Allen casts himself in the lead in his own films all the time but it never smacks of ego to me. However, the tiny cameo Shamablah does in his own films are terribly distracting. Terribly!

In Lady in the Water, M. Night casts himself as a visionary writer who's writing changes the world. Wait a minute while I throw up. Ok, I'm back.

The most amusing reading this week is the review tally at RottenTomatoes.com for Lady in the Water. The critics are being brutal and although I'm not usually a fan of public torture, this whipping is a joy to watch.

Enjoy the pain at:

RottenTomatoes.com/LadyintheWater

No comments: