Pages

October 30, 2007

Elizabeth, The Golden Age


Ronnie: Cate, thank you for coming to Oceanside for this brief interview.

Cate: My pleasure. It really is a lovely town.

Ronnie: Why thank you.

Cate: It's quite nice. So many strapping Marines!

Ronnie: So about your movie...

Cate: Elizabeth...

Ronnie: Yes, Elizabeth. The costumes are stunning.

Cate: Thank you.

Ronnie: Truly stunning. I loved looking at your movie. I would have loved it even with the sound off. I could have just put on my iPod and listened to the "Priscilla, Queen of the Desert", and been perfectly content.

Cate: But what did you think of the script.

Ronnie: Well it's very Cliff Notesy don't you think?

Cate: I don't know, I don't read Cliff Notes.

Ronnie: You should, they're quite useful. I quite enjoy them. So, it's not a criticism and to be fair I wouldn't know how to write a screenplay that clearly communicates the complexity of that time period and still be clear. And I felt like I learned a lot but I also felt like I was being given the tip of the iceberg. I left wanting to know more about Queen Elizabeth, which is always good thing. And as far as pure entertainment, it works brilliantly, I was completely entertained and I may even see it again. So all in all it was a totally satisfying experience.

Cate: Thank you, I think.

Ronnie: But let's be frank, shall we?

Cate: Absolutely.

Ronnie: Samantha Morton is the real deal, don't you think? A truly other-worldly actress. No one can deny your incredible talent, Cate, but Samantha is in her own universe. It was only when she was on screen that I was truly swept away. I liked all of your choices but with you I'm always aware of the talent, but with Samantha, I find myself transported and confused and awed. She simply acts on more levels than you. If you act on 3 levels she acts on 5. She's like a Judi Dench, there's just so much going on all the time. She even sort of looks like Judi Dench. Did you see Minority Report?

Cate: I loved it.

Ronnie: It's really Samantha's movie, but Tom Cruise and Spielberg got all the credit. So I think it's time to start giving some of your roles to Samantha. That's really why I brought you here. You have all the work you need but it's time for Samantha to move to center stage. She's the best thing in Elizabeth and she's only on screen for like a total of 10 minutes. It's not right. Or you should produce a movie called Mary Queen of Scots and let her star in it. What do you think about all this?

Cate: Umm...I'm not sure.

Ronnie: Well thank you so much for coming to Oceanside and sitting down with me.

Cate: Thank you, it was lovely!

No comments: