Pages

November 04, 2008

No on 4 (with reservations)

Yes Carolyn. I'm voting No on 4, absolutely. But I'd also like to thank my birth mother for giving me up for adoption instead of aborting me. She was only 14 when she got pregnant. It was very tough for her but she gave me my life and I'm incredibly grateful for that. Life is precious. The planet has been alive for billions of years and humans have only been on the planet for a brief moment. We have yet to find more life in the universe. Life should not be taken for granted. I am both pro-life and pro-choice, equally. There's only been one Shakespeare, one Sondheim, one Jonas Salk, how many geniuses have we aborted? We may have aborted the child who would grow up to cure cancer or AIDS. How many Obama's have we aborted? Abortion troubles me very deeply. But still I'm voting on No on 4. And I'm on my way to the polls now.

PS I wept while watching Barack cast his ballot in Chicago. Some days I still don't believe what I'm seeing. Two days ago someone said to me, "it's racist to vote for someone because they're black." I countered with, "No! 200 years of non-stop white male Presidents is racist!" This country is half female and yet there's never been one female President??? What the fuck is that??? I hope today is an end AND a beginning. I hope.

1 comment:

carolyn said...

Thank you Ronnie, for understanding and explaining so well why having the choice is important, as well as being difficult and above all personal. I want my daughter to be able to make her own choices as freely as I did.