Pages

July 01, 2007

Playing God


I've begun preliminary work on a documentary about people dealing with the death of a pet and people are submitting heartbreaking stories via e-mail. Some aren't sure they want to be in the film but they want to share their story with me. I'm honored. I got this one last night:

"I wish I had heard of you when I had to put my BELOVED pot belled pig down. I had had Harley ever since he was only 3 weeks old and had him 16 years. I had to plan every detail of his death because I wanted him buried on my property. He was a 300 pound pig which meant that he was not easy to put down nor was he easy to bury. I cried for weeks before and still do cry over the lose of him. My vet tried every concoction he could mix to put Harley down but nothing worked. He finally had to shot him. When the vet's gun would not work, my husband had to get his own gun to shot my dear sweet Harley two more times. I have had animals my whole life (I am 55) and nothing was as painful (and still is) has losing my Harley. You never really know if you are doing the right thing to put an animal down. It's kind of like playing God. I still have my doubts about if I did the right thing. Harley was to a point of not being able to walk anymore and he was blind and could not see where he was going. I know he will be the first one to greet me when I go home to be with Jesus. I would be interested in seeing your documentary when you have completed it."

No comments: