Pages

July 09, 2007

Memento and Christopher Nolan


It took me a week to get through Memento on DVD but I really, really liked it. I hate watching movies at home. I don't concentrate and/or fall asleep. I'm always on the computer so I sort of half-watch the TV. For instance, right now I'm watching The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance. John Wayne is so good, I love him and Jimmy Stewart is great as always but I'm not really watching it. I'm sort of listening to it. But you can't watch Memento that way, so I had to focus on it and I kept falling asleep, but I really did like it. And Christopher Nolan is a huge, fucking talent; Memento, Batman Begins, The Prestige, these are VERY entertaining films and I'm incredibly excited about the next Batman movie. I wish I could say the same about Spiderman.

It's fitting to be writing about Memento tonight, a film about tattoos, because as I write this, my neighbor is getting a big tattoo in his living room by a travelling tattoo artist. His living room has been transformed into a temporary tattoo parlor. Chemicals, tinfoil, blood, bright lights, it's creepy but exciting. Hi house looks like a David Fincher production. I keep going over to see the progress. The last time I went over, the tattooer was putting on a rubber glove and opening a jar of Vaseline. I said, "how funny, I was just doing the same thing in my own apt. less than an hour ago. If you run out of Vaseline, lemme know."

PS Does John Wayne say "pilgrim" in every movie? And the lighting in Liberty Valance is beautiful. It's like a film-noir-western. I must see more John Ford films.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I agree, I love Christopher Nolan.

Like Peter Jackson, Nolan is one director who has never directed a bad film, in my view.

MAN WHO SHOT LIBERTY VALANCE = okay, noble.

If you're getting into John Ford, the indespensibles are THE SEARCHERS, STAGECOACH and GRAPES OF WRATH.

Most critics also name MY DARLING CLEMENTINE, Ford's version of the O.K. Corral. It may have been quintessential, but I think the movie is mediocre and convoluted in addition to being too creative with history.

John Ford's "Cavalry Trilogy" of SHE WORE A YELLOW RIBBON, FORT APACHE and RIO GRANDE typify the director and genre.

They're also interesting if you're looking for American historical attitudes toward Indian genocide. (!)

My favorite is THE SEARCHERS -- that one is in A.F.I's top 100 movies list and critics/directors always mention it.