Pages

July 01, 2007

Goodbye Home, Hello July


Today's gonna be a strange day. I'm going to Bakersfield to say goodbye to my childhood home. It's been sold and starting next week my Dad is gonna start dismantling it and getting it ready for the new owner to move in 6 weeks from now. The thing that most disturbs me is the smell I fear I'll never smell again. One of the most comforting things I've ever known is walking into the house and being engulfed by the warm "home" smell that I've only smelled while in that home. I worry I'll never smell that scent again. It's another piece of my mother that will be gone. I'm sad but I know it's not realistic to keep a home so I can go a couple of times a year and smell it. I'll take my video camera and shoot my last moments in the house but, unfortunately, video doesn't capture scent. I don't know how I'll feel, exactly, but I'm not looking forward to it. And now I'm gonna go masturbate and fall asleep. Good night, happy Sunday and hello, July.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Just another step towards growing older. Damn, where's my Barbi and Ken doll at?

Travis Adamson said...

Ronnie,

Wow, I didn't even know that your Dad was selling the place, and my sister never mentioned it to me! That is sad. As with you, I also have a lot of fond memories of that house (heck, I even lived there for a few months before I moved to Utah). I don't know if I connect with the smell, but I do connect with the love and warmth that I always felt there.