Pages

June 11, 2007

Tony (not Soprano)


I loved the Tony's last night. The show felt tight. The winners seemed overjoyed. The numbers were appealing. The video montages were well put together. I just thoroughly enjoyed the whole evening. I don't really understand Spring Awakening but I've never been interested in shows about teen angst unless they're written by Shakespeare. And Coast of Utopia looks beautiful but I ain't sitting thru no 9 hour show no matter how many awards it gets. BUT, I really enjoyed the Tony show. My favorite comment of the night was Duncan Sheik referring to the "casualities" left behind during the production process. Creating theater is often a very ugly business and that's the one thing you don't hear while watching the Tony awards so I found the Duncan Sheik comment refreshingly honest. I was reminded, too, how "unbeautiful" stage actors look in close-up. Of course, there are no close-ups in the theater so stage actors don't have to be beautiful; they just have to have faces that communicate. So did the awards show make me want to jump on a plane and go see a Broadway show? No. Well, maybe a little. And that's a start.

No comments: