Pages

March 20, 2007

Lily Tomlin vs David O. Russell

This clip is insane. I can't believe it! Oh wait. I can believe it. I've lived it. If any of you really want to understand the collaborative process in theatre and film, here it is. This shit goes on every fucking day. This is the stuff they never show on those stupid "making of" shows but this is truer to the reality of how "entertainment" gets made. And if Lily had won the Oscar she would have stood up there and thanked her brilliant director for "pushing her so hard." And if David had won he would have thanked the "tireless" Lily Tomlin for putting up with him. The next time you see and actor director saying "how much they loved working together" just think of this clip. And this my friends is why I've been on hiatus for a year and half because life is simply too short to spend your days trapped in rehearsals arguing with people. Peace!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

This seems extreme. I've never been involved in a production with stakes that high.

But as an actor and director of community theater, student film and video, difficulties are the exception, not the norm.

And most people handle them way better than Tomlin and Russell in this clip.

Russell's movie was incoherent, and his histrionics display a desperate man who doesn't know what he's doing.

Hollywood history is ripe with tales of on-set difficulty, but from what I can tell, nuclear blowups like this aren't standard practice or tenable.

Michelle said...

If I ever work with a "challenging" director again, I will think back to this clip and think if it's really worth it lol.

Anonymous said...

Lily Tomlin Speaks on "I Heart Huckabees" Meltdown:

Her new interview about the incident:

"Lily Tomlin is now joking about her now infamous four-letter-word-filled exchange with director David O. Russell on the set of "I Heart Huckabees." Video of the supercharged meltdown has been making the viral rounds on YouTube. At least it isn't a sex tape!



"Tomlin told the Miami New Times, "I've never seen it. Is that when I'm sitting in the seat and really going nuts? Oh my God, I'm gonna die when I see that."

"Tomlin is referring to a 2004 video in which she, Dustin Hoffman and a few other cast members are waiting in a car for a scene. Between takes, Tomlin goes ballistic on Russell. "Leave me the f**k alone!" she screams at one point. "Do you know what the f**k is going on, period? F**k you! F**k you motherf**ker!" Not very ladylike.

"In another scene, Russell fires back, launching into a furious tirade directed at Tomlin, in which he kicks and even knocks over several props.

"I love David," Tomlin says. "There was a lot of pressure in making the movie -- even the way it came out, you could see it was a very free-associative, crazy movie, and David was under a tremendous amount of pressure. And he's a very free-form kind of guy anyway."

http://www.tmz.com/2007/03/22/lily-tomlin-speaks-on-i-heart-f-kabees-meltdown/