Pages

January 16, 2007

Golden Globe Thoughts


Why do people borrow jewelry and wear it out for one night only and then return it the next day. I really don't understand this concept. Is it really exciting to get to wear someone elses bracelet for the night??? What the fuck? And to my untrained eye, all that jewelry doesn't look any better or worse than the shit they sell at Target. Seriously!

Helen Mirren won two best actress awards for playing two different queens named Elizabeth in two different movies. Interesting.

I always want Meryl Streep to win because I love her acceptance speeches. I really worship Ms. Streep even though I walked out of Prairie Companion and I was bored by Prada. But I do love the Streep.

Dreamgirls and Babel shared best pic wins but I don't believe either will win the Oscar.

During his speech, Forrest Whitaker did a perfect recreation of a role he played in the sci-fi thriller, Species. In that film he played a character who "feels things...deeply." Rent it sometime, you'll see what I mean.

How out of it am I that I've never seen any of these TV shows not once: Greys Anatomy, 24, Ugly Betty, 30 Rock, Scrubs, Desperate Housewives, Monk, The Office, My Name is Earl, Entourage, The Sopranos. I simply don't enjoy fiction on TV. Am I missing out? Deprived?

The best acting I've seen all year by an actress is by Judi Dench in the trailer for Notes on a Scandal. Here's hoping the film is as good as the preview.

Jackass 2 and Borat are still my favorite films of the year and I also feel they're the most visceral, most creative, most entertaining, and most important films of the year.

Flags of our Fathers and Letters from Iwo Jima (two well-reviewed films by a great filmmaker) are being completely ignored by the American public. Could it be that we've simply had enough war this year? I know I have!

I'm always amused when people like my sister call me during the Golden Globes because I'm reminded of how little it all means to most people. For her it's just another monday night. And that's probably how it should be. Hopefully, one day I'll grow up and stop watching all this award show silliness. Hopefully.

3 comments:

carolyn said...

I completely agree with you on Ms Streep, although I thought Prada was cute, just wish I hadn't paid to see it since i later saw it a dozen times in flight. And if only I could have walked out on Prairie companion, but again, I was in flight. Easy enough to sleep through though. The radio show is even worse...

Michelle said...

The exact same thought about Forrest Whitaker crossed my mind when I watched him win... I don't know about all of the shows but you are missing out on The Office, 30 Rock and the Sopranos in my humble opinion.

Anonymous said...

You would dig 24 most of all as it is an office comedy with explosions and the wackiest examination of American racial politics ever. THE WIRE IS THE BEST SHOW ON TV. If I have a mission in life it is to spread the good word of the best written, best cast and best directed show ever to be broadcast. THE WIRE IS THE BEST SHOW ON TV.