Pages

December 07, 2005

Walk The Line


I keep hoping to read in Variety that Walk the Line is only part one of a three-part trilogy about the life of Johnny Cash ala Lord of the Rings.

I really enjoyed the movie and I'm a big fan of Joaquin Phoenix but when it ended I was disapointed because I felt cheated.

They showed a third of his life. But I want the whole thing. I'm just greedy.

He marries June Carter and then what? Keep going.

Walk the Line is a lovely first third of a movie.

I wept in the first 10 minutes. The first ten minutes are perfect. As a young Johnny Cash walked down the dirt road on his way to join the military I balled like a baby. The movie never affected me as deeply as it did in the first 10 minutes but I stayed completely involved throughout.

I loved Joaquins performance. I love watching him. I still believe he should have won best supporting actor for Gladiator.

The concert sequence at Folsom Prison gave me goosebumps. His relationship with his father is heart-breaking.

And then the movie ends with some lame title card explaining that June and Johnny Cash lived happily ever after for 35 years, or something like that.

Bullshit!

Finish the film. Please, Hollywood. Finish the film!

No comments: