Pages

December 05, 2005

Syriana


Finally!

A movie for adults and adults only.

Not based on a comic book, not a glossy bio of a famous persons life and no Oscar-baiting performances.

Syriana is just a complicated movie about complicated adults, surviving complicated situations, in the most complicated places on the planet.

Did I follow every nuance? Absolutely not. Was it convuoluted? Yes, but we're talking about oil and the Middle East and Washington D.C. politics. Can anyone figure this shit out?

Syriana is written and directed by Stephen Gaghan, the same fellow who wrote Traffic, which I also loved. Well i didn't exactly love Syriana but it doesn't want your love. It wants your attention and I was riveted.

Stephen Ghagan is that rare Hollywood writer writing for adults and adults only. I felt like a grown-up while watching this.

I loved Batman and Willy Wonka earlier in the year but at the end of the day those are still comic books and candy.

Syriania reminded me that wether I pay atttention or not, important things are happening in the world and if I bury my head in the sand, I'm likely to wake up with an oil rig planted squarely on my back.

No comments: