Pages

July 25, 2008

Mamma Mia

I tried to leave the play 20 minutes in but my companion, Gino Colbert, begged me to stay til intermission. I went through a period where I walked out of shows after 20 minutes. It got to be very expensive. I use to walk out of more movies , too, but lately I find I haven't. I never wanted to walk out of Mamma Mia the movie but I kept hoping it would end! They sure lucked out by getting Meryl Streep, an actress incapable of giving a bad performance. But it's pretty bizarre watching her act the hell out of the ABBA song, The Winner Takes it All. But millions of people love Mamma Mia, the play AND the movie, so what the fuck do I know?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I agree, WINNER TAKES IT ALL was overacted; overdirected.

MAMMA MIA!'s story is deeply flawed, too. Can you say "paternity test?"

Because none of the characters can!

But the show is worthwhile just for the music and sustained spirit of fun. 2.5 out of 4 stars.