Pages

July 02, 2010

Fat Kids

When I was in high school the gym teacher agreed to give me a passing grade if I performed as Boy George at the powder puff football game. I hated gym. Still do. Nothing is more boring than walking on a treadmill. I went to the gym a few years ago for about 6 months. I'd have my iphone, I'd be checking my e-mails, watching the tv, checking out hot guys next to me and I'd only do it for 30 minutes and I was STILL bored! The only time I get bored is on a treadmill. I'm hopeless!

__________

Most Texas school kids failing in fitness

With two-thirds flunking state test, looser rules for gym classes raise fears

By ERICKA MELLON
HOUSTON CHRONICLE

July 2, 2010, 9:18AM

WHAT'S IT TAKE

To be considered physically fit:

A 12-year-old boy is expected to:

• Complete one-mile run in no more than 10 minutes, 30 seconds

• Have a body fat percentage of 25 or less

• Perform 18 curl-ups (tests abdominal strength)

• Perform nine trunk lifts (tests trunk strength)

• Perform 10 push-ups (tests upper-body strength)

• Sit with one knee bent and one leg straightened against a box, then reach fingers within 8 inches of the box (tests flexibility)

A 12-year-old girl must:

• Complete a 1-mile run in no more than 12 minutes

• Have a body fat percentage of 32 or less

• Perform 18 curl-ups

• Perform nine trunk lifts

• Perform seven push-ups

• Sit with one knee bent and one leg straightened against a box, then reach fingers within 10 inches of the box

Source: The Cooper Institute Fitnessgram

More than two-thirds of Texas schoolchildren flunked the state's physical fitness test this year, a troubling trend that doctors worry could get worse with the Legislature loosening the requirements for high school gym class.

No comments: