Pages

June 29, 2008

WALL E


A serious masterpiece. The best animated film I've ever seen. One of the best examples of visual storytelling ever. One of the darkest films I've ever seen. They have completely mis-marketed this thing. This is not some cutesy Robot movie. I wasn't even interested in seeing it after the first trailers came out. I think the producers were afraid that if people found out how dark the movie is they might not come see it. This is an extremely serious film about...well it's about everything. It's about our very existence. And if you're a fat person, like me,...well let's just say, I'll never look at big gulp again the same way. My mind is still reeling, I'll be seeing it again very soon. And did I mention I wept like a baby in the final moments. 

One of the reasons I hate blogging is because I'm not a good writer. I don't express myself well via blogging. I struggle to put sentences together in this form. Dialogue is easy to write for me but this non-dialogue writing is no fun, uninteresting and doesn't flow. I'm a talker, I like to talk, I could talk with you about Wall-e for hours but when I start to write my thoughts in blog form I freeze up. It's frustrating. And yet I get sick of writing dialogue.

Anyway, enough about that. 

The point is Wall E is a amazing fucking film that deeply impacted me. The first film of the year to make me cry. I won't tell you to go see it cause I'm sure you will. And if you aren't running out to see it because you think its a kids cartoon you are wrong, wrong, wrong. In fact, I would say it is NOT for children. It's for parents! Parents need to see this movie. It should be required viewing for parents because it's about the choices we make as individuals and how those choices impact the people we love as well as the people we've never met.

2 comments:

Jay Larsen said...

This was a great movie. And I enjoyed the nods to all those clasic science fiction films (Auto was HAL, 2 droids in an escape pod, etc., etc., etc.).

I'm sure I will have to see it a couple more times before I catch all the references.

Loved It.

Anonymous said...

I thought it was excellent, too.

But I really wish they hadn't brought up the possibility of Wall-E's memory deletion at the end if they weren't going to follow through on it.

I truly think WALL-E would have been a much stronger movie had Pixar decided to let the robot die. It would have been a terrifically moving tragedy.

But Pixar opts to merely tease us with that possibility, then slap on the same old, fake, Hollywood, feel-good ending.

Don't even bring it up, Pixar! If you're just going to pussy out of it ...