Pages

June 29, 2008

Let the racism begin!

My "christian" uncle sent this to me!


 
Inside was the caption: 

"I just don't know what else to say. A picture is worth a thousand words."

I fear this is the ugly direction we are heading between now and November. Now, granted, sometimes I see people and they look like animals. I saw a guy the other day that looked like a shark. But the message of these images side by side is ugly, demeaning and reveals a serious sickness in the Republican party regarding matters of race. I was just thinking about my slowness to get behind Obama. I've been wondering why I've been resistant. I'm still disappointed about Hillary. But this e-mail from my Uncle, who I love,  is the push that I needed. The next time I see an Obama bumper sticker I'm slapping it on my car. Let's win this thing. And just for the record, let me say, I'm a moderate. Yes, sex addicts can be political moderates! I actually admire many things about McCain. But this country needs serious change and when I see McCain I see more of the same. And when I get e-mails like the one from my Uncle, I'm reminded of how much work we still have to do in this country in regards to race.

1 comment:

Jay Larsen said...

This is the basic flaw with democracy: 1 person - 1 vote.
Sociological surveys of the population show that people progress through disinct stages of development. And a large percentage of the population stops progressing around age 25.

So if you have 1 person - 1 vote, 70% or more of the population are at prerational, tribal stages of development (the stage that brought use facism). Which puts politicians in a huge bind. They may be highly developed individuals but they rely on votes from the masses, so they have to appeal to a majority that can't keep up with them.

I hate to sound elitist, but I haven't got the brain power to find a way around this problem.

1 person - 1 vote gives you religious theocracies, facist tribalism, and oppressive antique moralism every time.