Pages

November 07, 2005

Speak up, Harriett!


Harriet Miers got screwed. I'm not sure who screwed her, maybe she even screwed herself but she got screwed none the less. She was nominated to the highest court in the land by a man who was elected by a majority of Americans and yet she was disposed of without ever having her voice heard. Why didn't she speak? I heard Bill Frist read her statement, I heard everyone else speak for her and against her but I never heard her. She will always remain a mystery.

Maybe she is unqualified. Anyone who worships at the alter of George W. Bush is of questionable mind but still, Harriett, step up to a fucking microphone! Paris Hilton speaks louder than you. Within days Miss Miers became a punchline for Democrats and a punching bag for Republicans. Where were her friends?

Any enemy of George Will and Trent Lott is a friend of mine. It doesn't bother me when people beat up on the bullshit-artist formerly known as Condalezza Rice, but Harriett reminded me of sweet Mormon women I knew growing up. The type of women who knew I was gay but still accepted me because I was a cute kid. The type of tireless women who were the first to arrive at a potluck and the last ones to leave.

And what do we get instead of Miers? Another middle-aged white guy! My heart sank when I saw his round, fat, white, Republican face on the Drudge Report.

Goodbye Harriet Miers.

I will always remember you for the trial you endured and I hope you weren't too damaged by the beating you suffered. You did agree to the adventure but did you ever suspect, in a million years, you'd be treated like a third-class citizen with no judicial knowledge?

Trent Lott, the racist-asshole-gentleman-from-Missisipi said, "In a few weeks no one will remember the name of Harriet Miers."

Fuck you, Trent, I'll remember it and I will always wonder about the sound of her voice and what, if anything, was inside her head.

No comments: