Pages

November 20, 2005

Hedwig and the Angry...who cares.


Seriously I do not get it. I guess I'm not hip.

There's no denying that John Cameron Mitchell is a very talented actor/performer but this Hewdig thing is one of the most overrated pieces of entertainment in the last 10 years.

Am I supposed to care about this Hedwig character, because I don't.

A friend dragged me to the play in NYC while Mitchell was still in it and I was sooooo bored. I left stupefied.

Then the Hedwig movie comes out and the fast-paced trailer looked promising and the reviews were great so I held out hope.

It's lonely not liking material that everyone else seems to love.

So the movie is on tv tonight and I watch it and I have the exact same feeling I had all those years ago at the theater: total fucking boredom.

I just simply do not care. There was one moment in the first hour that I really liked, a character with stringy hair is looking at a flyer announcing auditions for a European tour of Rent and his/her expression is one of utter confusion.

Great moment! I related because I don't get Hedwig and I don't get Rent, either. But more about that later. Maybe I'm just not interested in East Village-grungy-undergroud-type-people-who-sing.

It's odd, I admire John Cameron Mitchell and I admire Jonathan Larson but the phenomenons they both created just don't speak to me on any level.

Oh well.

No comments: