Pages

June 11, 2009

Star Trek revisited

In Mexico today saw a foreign film: Star Trek. It had subtitles. Half the movies at the local cineplex are you dubbed and half are subtitled. No more dubbed movies for me. I saw a dubbed Monstrous vs Aliens and it was PAINFUL. But star Trek, ah Star Trek. Glorious. Loved it the first time but was truly moved the second time. I cried about 6 times. I love the way the crew come together. I loved Mission Impossible 3, another JJ Abrams-directed movie. Everyone was hating Tom Cruise at the time and I think the film got a bum rap but I loved the way JJ Abrams told the story. He's such a great storyteller. He does this thing where you learn about the characters thru the action. The exposition is incorporated in to the action. It's brilliant. Lots of movies have two modes; action or talk. The characters talk then they have an action sequence. But Mr. Abrams, more than any other writer/director I can think of, incorporates the exposition directly in to the action so we learn about the characters as they are involved in exciting action sequences. It's such good writing. On another note, I was thinking about how in America, foreign films are considered high brow. But here in Mexico, Cinepolis is primarily showing American films aka foreign films. Which got me to wondering. Are we the only country in the world that spends 200 million dollars to make a movie? Has there EVER been a foreign film shown in America that cost 200 million dollars to make?

Three other things:

1. I absolutely adore the casting of the new Star Trek. I think all the actors are perfectly cast and perform brilliantly!

2. Notice how the Mexico poster focuses on the destruction of San Francisco. LOL

3. The words "Space... the final frontier...followed by the classic theme music ALWAYS takes me back to my Grandparents house in Oroville, California. I'm 8 years old surrounded by people I love and people who love me. I never watched Star Trek but the narration and theme music deeply impact me.

No comments: