Pages

June 01, 2009

Rubio's

One of the joys of being in Mexico is NOT speaking the language and therefore not overhearing inane conversations. I'm at Rubio's at the Carlsbad Mall listening to a bunch of dumb white yuppies chatter on about nothing. At least if they were speaking Spanish I could imagine they were discussing something important. Can a white person be racist against white people? Is that possible? I've been here for three hours and these are words I HAVEN'T heard: Iraq, bankruptcy,General Motors, Obama, missing airplane... 

Instead we get this...

"Daddy said, "don't get them a treat cause they haven't been good."

"How much is the massage?"

"We just went home and cooked and then left. It was no big deal. I don't know why he got all upset."

"hello, ok...uh, huh,  ok....yeah,  yeah...ok so,,,oh you mean the tires.? ok....i take that route everyday..."




No comments: