Pages

May 09, 2006

Quick Thoughts


Well, Well, Well!
So you want to be a playwright? Are you sure? A play is closing on Broadway after playing for only a few weeks. The play is called Well. It's by a playwright named Lisa Kron. Friends have been writing to me and telling me how much they loved it. It got rave reviews and it closes on May 14th after 53 performances and 23 previews. And that's life in the theater. Hit plays get rave reviews and close quickly, losing tons of money in the process. Meanwhile, at the cineplex, Scary Movie 4 opens to nothing but negative reviews and an opening weekend grosses over 40 million dollars. Still want to be a playwright?

Super Sweet 16
I was horrified on Saturday as I watched a show called Super Sweet 16. The show focuses on super-rich families with a despicable daughter in the middle of planning a sweet 16 party. I had seen the show spoofed on SNL but I didn't realize how soft the spoof was. The people on this show are the most horrible, heartless, soulless Americans I have ever seen. I watched in horror, praying that the birthday-girl would suddenly have an aneurysm or spontaneously combust. These girls are not human, they are monsters. They abuse their parents and the parents allow it. If you want to see the worst America has to offer watch one episode of this nightmare.

Deal or No Deal
Oh no. I'm hooked. And I don't wanna be! Let me go, Howie. I was changing channels last week and i stumbled across this new hit show, Deal or No Deal and I simply could not change the channel. All they do on the show is give money away. That's it. No trivia questions, no bug-eating, no alliances, just free money. It's a mindless piece of entertainment and I could not stop watching.

David Blaine and The Times
Thank God for The NY Times. Ginia Bellafante wrote an article about David Blaine that articulated my feelings perfectly. If you didn't watch David Blaine trying to hold his breath for 9 minutes then ignore this. But if you watched, as I did, then read this article and you'll know what I thought about the whole affair but couldn't articulate because I'm not as clear or concise or insightful as Ginia Bellafante.
http://www.nytimes.com/2006/05/09/arts/television/09blaine.html

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I HATE My Super Sweet 16! It pisses me off everytime it's on! All of MTV's show piss me off. The only shows that are worse I think is Date My Mom and Parental Control. The people that go on the show... no wonder it seems like teenagers are idiots. Oh and this is Michelle :-)