Pages

February 19, 2006

Date Movie/Firewall/Eight Below/Brokeback 4th Time


NOTE: Over the last week I've seen three movies that are so forgettable I can't even muster more than a few lines each. None of these three movies sucked they just don't inspire me to type. They aren't bad, they aren't great, they are just fine.

DATE MOVIE

I would never have seen this movie in a million years but a sexy guy suggested we go so I went. I laughed. I was grossed out. I wasn't bored. The audience enjoyed it. So there you go. It was the first time I'd ever been in a theater where it didn't bother me that people were talking on their cell phones. How can you complain when a movie made for third graders is attended by people acting like third graders?

FIREWALL

I loved Firewall. it's a movie we've seen a million times but I loved it none-the-less. I don't think I've ever disliked a Harrison Ford movie. I love the fact that Harrison Ford has never chased an Oscar. He is a MOVIE STAR and he knows it. He doesn't care about roles that transform him, he is HARRISON FORD, period. He chases bad guys. He entertains us. He is a dying breed.

EIGHT BELOW

What can you say about a movie where 8 husky dogs are more compelling to watch than the human actors they are forced to interact with? Paul Walker is a mystery to me. I never feel like he's acting. I always feel like he just strolled onto the set and decided to let the crew film hlm. His acting is effortless but only because it feels like he puts no effort into it. There is something admirably lazy about him. He seems like a fratboy who would be just as happy surfing as making movies. I know nothing about him but this is what I think when I watch his movies: Who are you??????
_________________________________

BROKEBACK MOUNTAIN (4th time)

Everytime I see this complicated piece of art and have a completely different experence. I saw it with my heterosexual sister and after the fuck scene she turned to me with a straight face and said, "are they gay now?" I didn't answer. There are no answers in this thing only questions, questions and more questions. I can't recall a movie in recent memory that inspired as much lively discussion as Brokeback. It's a gift, really.

WHAT'S MUNICH?

I'm in Denver and I ask my sister what she wants to see. She asks, "what's playing?" i say, "Munich." She says, "what's Munich." Living in LA and New York skews ones perspective. There is no Munich controversy in Denver because in Denver Munich doesn't exist. It's already out of the cineplexes replaced by Date Movie, Firewall and Eight below.

No comments: